Friday 15 March 2013

All Quiet on the North Western Frontier

The garden to the west and north of my house is still technically not a garden but a builder's yard.  I made some progress with walls etc in last year's dismal apology for a summer, but I really want to get some major fine weather jobs done.  These include stone facing on a long retaining wall, 10 m of setts laid, 25 sq m of limestone pavers, a fair bit of earth removal, clearing the rubble from the "lawn", planting the new lawn, painting 16 m of picture rail for the lounge and refurbishing some of the 7 sash windows.  (Recently I turned a window cleaner away on the grounds that the state of the windows meant that he would be likely to damage them!)  Even recently I have been too busy with accounts to do much so the garden has been quiet for the entire winter.

However, all these best laid plans really have "gang agley".  I have an operation provisionally booked for May 1st, and so whatever is not done in the next six weeks will not get done until July or August.

I have been running a blog about this potential operation which you might care to visit: http://diaryofakidneydonor.blogspot.co.uk/. If you know of any one who has done something similar then please point them to it - I'd love to have details of people's recent experiences of this.  One thing that surprises me is that the whole thing now is VERY emotional - I can hardly talk or write about it without welling up.  I think this can only increase!

I'm glad I never actually set a completion date; we set (and met) the "move-in" date in July 2011, but thereafter it's just one task after another.  'Er indoors is very patient!!

No comments: