Friday 6 September 2013

Feeling Worn Out

I've done almost half of the one foot high brick wall which edges the paving at the end of the garden.  It will be about 13 feet long and have a brick built barbeque stand at one end.  The foundation is concrete, and the reclaimed Imperial bricks are laid with lime mortar which matches the house.  This wall gives a solid edge for the paving laid on sand, and also resolves a worry I had about whether we had taken the ground down too far beside the 6ft stone wall; it will raise the ground level at the base of the wall thus preventing erosion, and also I can dispose of a good quantity of excavated earth behind it. 

I spent yesterday working at my normal speed, until about 3pm.  I had done two major e-mails on church business which, with a phone call as well, had taken most of the morning, and then I got on with the foundations for the second half of the wall. This was hard work as yesterday was very hot, and I was digging through a layer which contains animal bone (no human has teeth that size!) and a good amount of local brash.  This stuff is annoying as you have a few bits of stone as large as your hand hidden in good earth, and if partly hidden they still have to be removed. Suddenly I realised that actually I was very tired, and that I wasn't going to finish digging the hole and mix a load of concrete in what was left of the afternoon.  So I stopped and at that same moment decided that I would do nothing at all today as well - just have a day off. 

I've had a bit of a poor throat recently, but last night I slept pretty well. I had to get up at 6.30 to take t'other half to the station, and when I came back I went back to bed with another cup of tea.  Next thing I knew it was 10.00am! I went to the shops for a few essentials and a haircut, and only then realised that I had not had any breakfast.  After lunch I found myself watching the Formula 1 practice on TV, and an old film with Telly Savalas.  I certainly feel rested and much better today; perhaps this is what retirement is meant to be like?

Yes, there are still lots of things I could do around the house and garden, and I know I have to finish doing things by October 16th (operation day) but I am determined not to let these jobs put such pressure on me in the future.

No comments: