Tuesday 29 October 2013

The Best Thing I've Ever Done

Well, the afore-mentioned kidney transplant operation has come and gone; everything was remarkably successful.  The removal was virtually painless for me, and my brother is now a "new man". I do not think that we really knew how ill he was, but we do now as we see a much fitter version, literally "in the pink" and no longer feeling tired all the time. All the stats are going in the right direction and so he just has to re-adjust to a life of balancing anti-rejection drugs with the risk of infection (as the drugs inhibit the immune system).

If you are interested in the idea of living kidney donation, please see the whole story of my donation at http://diaryofakidneydonor.blogspot.co.uk/. It's quite surprising - I'm a reserved logical person but this experience has really found the emotion in me (especially the entry on Oct 21st).

Please become an organ donor - see http://www.organdonation.nhs.uk/ - and make sure that your next of kin know that this is what you want.  Apparently a surprisingly high number of donor card holders do not donate anything when they die because their relatives still have a veto.  At least I can be sure that my next of kin know how I think!

I now have a good excuse to catch up on gentle activities like walking, writing and reading as, even though I feel great, I am banned from doing anything more serious than lifting a glass or mug for a fair while.

No comments: