Tuesday 6 May 2014

Feeling Older - Postscript

I wrote earlier this year (see here) about feeling older.  I now have a couple of postscripts to that entry.

Firstly, I have now used my senior's bus pass for the first time; mind you, I did forget the conditions and boarded a bus at 8.57am, only to be told that I could not use it before 9.00 am. I was tempted to try to beat him to the next stop, but then decided to wait for the next one.

Secondly, I recently had my hair cut in a different hairdresser's as my usual one had a queue.  I had a nice chat with the young woman and, when she finished, she charged me just £5.20. I thought this was cheap as the usual one costs £11, so I gave her a decent tip; then on my way out I checked their prices - she had charged me the "seniors rate" without me asking! Not good for my self-esteem, but I'll go back there.

Thinking of haircuts, when I had just moved to London a few years ago, I tried several places for a decent haircut.  At one unisex place, the young woman did a very nice cut and trimmed the hair in my ears (nasty sign of ageing) with the clippers.  Then, to remove the loose hair, she BLEW in my left ear!!  I think she realised that this was not the done thing (even though I was too surprised to comment!) as she didn't do the same on the other side.  I didn't go back there - I found a proper men's barber (just a few yards from Bermondsey Tube Station, if you're interested).

No comments: