Tuesday 27 March 2012

Useful Links

I thought it would be helpful to anyone thinking of undertaking a similar project for me to give a list of helpful websites of people I have used.  I should have done this a long time ago!  (You get a bit slow when you get to my age.)  I'll probably update this list periodically in future:
I can also recommend a plumber, lime plasterer, electrician and groundworker who are all small local tradesmen who did an excellent job.

I'll leave it to you to decide which is the best of the national chains who stock building materials, as I don't think they need me to advertise for them.  Suffice it to say that I think it helps if you can get known in these places to the extent that they don't ask your name but still give you your discount automatically.

[Edit 21 June] Here's a link to another blog which I have started.

1 comment:

Charlei said...

I know you wrote this ages ago, but I want to say thank you. My husband and I bought a house circa 1785 in New Hampshire in the USA and it is an uncommon plank frame construction, but laid on a fieldstone foundation and built mostly from green timbers. We'd like to restore it as mindfully as possible within our budget which means doing a lot of things ourselves. It is so hard to find information on keeping an older building like this up using older methods, since most people just try to find a way to do concrete foundations instead of the stone or something else, so I appreciate your detail and links to sources so that we can attempt to do limecrete floors when we get around to putting flooring in the old well room and "ell" (attachment between house and barn) which currently have timber over dirt floors at almost ground level.