Wednesday 15 February 2012

A Loo and a Washing Machine

Well, the plumbers have been, and most efficient they have been too.  In about four hours the two of them fitted the new loo, the corner basin with tap and outlet, the tap and outlet in the utility sink, and the washing machine supply and outlet.  Apart from the lack of electricity for the washing machine, we are all ready to go once the sealant sets, so I'll probably have an initiation ceremony tomorrow when I'll fix the worktop and base unit properly.

I have spent a fair bit of time on odd jobs in preparation for this event.  Once the floors were laid and grouted (see this page from January) I had to do tiling behind the loo and basin, assemble the base unit, cut the worktop and fit the steel sink in it, and then fit and paint the skirting board that goes behind the sink unit (as this will be visible beside the washing machine).  I know that professionals do this sort of thing much faster than me, but it still seems to me that there is no real reason why I should pay someone for a job that I can do - and I can feel proud of the achievements afterwards!

I would post some photos of the utility and loo in the extension but, like our main bathroom, they are so small that it is almost impossible to get a decent and meaningful photo.  It's all black (worktop), white (all tiles, sanitary ware and the base unit) or stainless steel (the sink), so please use your imagination!

I now need to finish the plastering so that the electrician can come and do his second fix.  I didn't properly appreciate the time required for the lime plastering (I have no excuse after all the other work done here) and really I should have started it before doing the floor if I wanted to finish earlier.  Never mind, where's the hurry?  I guess the electrics will get done in about ten days time, and I've plenty to keep me busy whilst the plaster goes off.  For instance, today I stripped and painted a 6ft cast iron downpipe and a hopper which will be a job to fit in place of the ones for the bathroom grey water outlet.  The fitted ones are in danger of falling off the wall and, as we've lowered the ground level, they are too short.

No comments: