Sunday 4 July 2021

A Real Work of Art - in our house!

"A real work of art" is how my other half described it -or more accurately, them. We have just replaced two opaque bits of glass in a bedroom door with two specially commissioned contemporary style items of leaded stained glass. I think we'd had the idea a while ago but, like so many ideas, it has taken a long time for it to come to fruition. That is often how I do things, I guess - at least it usually means that the final thing is perfect but equally often, it dies a death.

The panels in question are in the standard old four-panel pine door to a north facing bedroom. I guess that the old wooden panels were replaced a long time ago in a bid to shed some light on the stairs which otherwise have no natural light. The glass used was about 4mm thick and one side has vertical grooves to distort the image from the outside. The trouble was that it was impossible to get old paint and varnish off the edges and especially from out of those grooves, so they always looked dirty. Interestingly, the plain side of those glass panels is actually wavy, so I have no idea how old they are.

Strictly the new windows are coloured and leaded glass (and not painted glass), but everyone calls this "stained glass". Here are some photos of what we now have and the old glass.


It's quite difficult to get a decent photo from the stairwell, but the left picture shows the colours cast on the door surround, and they also appear on the yellow clay paint of the stairwall.
The old panes, removed without breakage!

This shows the wavy nature of the old glass.

Thanks to Themis Mikellides at Bath Aqua Glass who made the windows for us.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great to see some progress.

jakubukaj said...

Just came across your blog. It's lovely to see what a decent job you are doing of the renovation work. It's also reassuring to see that other people also spend their holidays looking at bad OPC pointing on historic buildings (your trip to Venice) - happens to me too, everywhere I go!

A question: I'm currently half way through trying to put some windows into a c1900 four-panelled wooden interior door. Previously someone had taken the mullion out of it to put in a single glass panel which looked very 1950s. I've put a mullion back in, and now I need to put windows into the two panels (as I definitely need the light in that part of the house). I just wondered how you fixed in the panes of glass. Just with panel pins and wood profiles?

Many thanks!

Matthew C said...

Sorry I've not been here for ages. I'm sure you have finished your window but the answer was "yes". The trick is to start the panel pins before you put the wood profile in place, and use something to hit on rather than trying to hit the pin direct with a small hammer (I think I used a pair of pliers) - this enabled me to direct the movment of the pin and stop it going in the wrong angle.