Friday 26 November 2010

Project Management

You know those house shows on TV where someone says that he/she is going to do the Project Management for their project, whilst also doing a full-time job, and not having enough money so they decide to do a lot of work themselves?  And usually the couple decide that this is also a good time to have their first baby?  Well, now I know for sure that they are absolutely stark staring mad!

Often the people on TV end up making poor decisions, paying more for work because of their tight schedule, and getting very stressed about everything.  I know I'm not in the first flush of youth but once you start the pressure is relentless and it is all so tiring and time-consuming.  All I have been doing is some work on the joists in the lounge but I keep getting interrupted, and so have not been able to do the loft access or plaster removal which I thought I would have done by the end of November.  I wanted to do this project at my own speed so I didn't get stressed and could enjoy the whole process.  The reality is that as soon as you get a contractor in, you are working to HIS schedule, not your own, and normally contractors want to get things finished pretty quickly (assuming that you haven't paid them in full up front and they just clear off with your money!).

Anyway, we've been having a few scheduling issues with the chimneys which have impacted the roofer's schedule.  Hopefully the rendering on the back chimney will be done this weekend which will allow a bit more scaffolding to come down, leaving the way clear for completion of the leadwork, followed by the last of the slating then the "mucky work" which is where the roofers have to use cement to fix all the ridge tiles.  We might even get the rest of the scaffolding down in the next two weeks; the upper front lift has already come down, revealing the newly rendered front chimney (which will weather soon, I hope!):


In all that work there will also be the installation of our new cast-iron gutters and downpipes, which all arrived yesterday.  These are VERY expensive and are what you should fit on a listed building; people were counselling me to use a form of plastic which is said to look like cast-iron (really?).  For me this was a conscious decision made in advance of purchase of the house, and it was also an argument that I did not want to have with the Conservation Officer.  In my view, if I say that I will do a project properly, and then suggest using plastic guttering, I will immediately lose all credibility and that will impact all future proposals that I make to the Council.  So, pick your arguments and build up your credibility by being conscientious in what you are doing with your bit of heritage.  Possibly, later, they might just be more sympathetic when you ask for a major decision in your favour...

No comments: