Friday 5 November 2010

Second Week Progress

Well, we've owned this house for two whole weeks now and the pace is relentless.  In that time I have had on site at least sixteen different people of almost every trade possible, apart from the plumber who is coming next week.  I'm still shattered but tomorrow I'm off for a charity meeting, so that's it until Monday.

This week I have had the electrical system disconnected entirely and replaced with a new circuit breaker box which supplies four sockets and the two storage heaters.  This was because I had no faith whatsoever in the existing system, and there seemed no point in checking it out when I knew that we would want a completely new system.  My caution was entirely justified today when, in removing the bedroom cupboards, I found that the square pin sockets were supplied by lead sheathed cable!  LEAD SHEATHING!!?  I had no idea that such a thing existed - at least I will profit by recycling the lead.

I have also had two chimneys checked so that I am now able to safely light a fire in both main downstairs rooms.  It really is amazing how much a room cheers up when you light a fire.  The effect was further improved when Jane then demolished the dirty, damp and dark cupboards beside the chimney breasts - suddenly we could see the room as we knew it ought to look.  One of these cupboards in particular was riddled with woodworm and I took much pleasure in burning all that wood outside.  The shelves were lined with local newspaper from May 1954, which included advertisements for the local cinemas which were showing Doris Day in "Calamity Jane" and the Marx Brothers in "Duck Soup".  Sadly this paper was too damaged to save as it was riddled with woodworm holes and so fell apart as we touched it.

The roof has progressed and Barry the Chippy will finish his work tomorrow hopefully, which will enable some slate to be refitted.  I think that completion of the roof is now intertwined with work required on the chimneys stacks, which is obviously a complication that the roofer is used to, so I'll leave him to it.

I was most impressed with the structure of the roof.  Essentially the load is carried by two large A-frames which Barry assures me are probably original:

These frames are staggered: the far end of the right hand A-frame is resting on an internal major structural wall and beyond that are two bedrooms, and the left hand A-frame goes to the far wall.  Here's another view of the right hand one:


We had wondered about using the loft as another bedroom but this A-frame is right in the way; the mechanics of replacing it would be hugely difficult and expensive (even if allowed) and if we didn't do that, I wouldn't want two rooms which were only six feet wide (the rather thin joists are at about 300mm spacing).

Finally, I also had a go at some pointing this week.  Given the exceptionally mild conditions forecast (as lime mortar does not like frost when setting), it seemed a good opportunity to fill in a few of the deep holes in the rubble on the side of the house.  This was done to bring it up to a 20mm depth, and the final pointing will be done when I have bought the matching colour for our lovely yellow/cream mortar.  I have found that pointing is time-consuming (as one would expect) but it also appeals to some deep desire of mine to put things in order and I find it very satisfying.  I am afraid that I have rendered a small part of the insect world homeless just before winter, but it's another small step forward.  There's a lot more to do!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amazing project - will be reading with interest. Pls post more photos of the exterior.

We are renovating a Victorian terrace at the moment but much simpler!

rilla said...

So which are you doing...pointing or rendering? I'm sure they are different!

Matthew C said...

I spent a day doing pointing on a wall when it was a bit warmer, and now a contractor is rendering the chimneys.

Pointing is between the stones (or bricks) in a wall, and rendering is covering brickwork or stonework with a screed as a surface protection.